So it’s that time of year again when we start to reflect on the year that has been and 2013 was SOME year.
It might have started out not quite the best between a major back injury, stress related illness, sponsorship problems and eventually being kicked out of Australia! However as Andy told me over and over (and over!) again… ‘It all works out in the end’ and I can honestly say that this year is going to be really hard to beat. So my top 14 of 2013 (because picking 10 was to hard!)….
1. Shark diving in Busan. This was insane! Actually was incredible being in a tank with sharks swimming around you close enough to touch! Also gave me my first taste of scuba diving… I like!
2. Skiing in Gangwon-do. As beginner skiers I was surprised how quickly we picked this up. Skiing from the top of a mountain right to the base, it was awesome!
3. Bungee Jumping. Always wanted to do it and finally did it… and it was terrifying and took me ages to leap off the bridge!!My knees have never shaken so much!
4. Going home after 2 years away to be reunited with my friends and family who I had missed so much during the last two years and realizing that true friends will always be waiting for you with a drink in hand!
5. Finally showing Andy my home, my Scotland after going on and on a bit about it! He even got treated to snow, mountains, and parts of Scotland I had not visited since I was a kid!
6. Moving to Korea. Can’t not mention our move to Korea! May have been slightly forced however turned out to be an awesome move, giving us more travel time, a different teaching experience and great opportunities. Not to mention experiencing a culture so different to our own!
7. Zombie Run. We both have loving a good scare and a good zombie movie so to be able to do a 5km run avoiding zombies was RIGHT up our street, was a great laugh, introduced us to Daejeon and all the money raised was for a good cause! https://teacherjennie.com/2013/12/29/in-case-of-zombies-runor-walk-slowly/
8. The Ultimate Cave Tour– After taking my parents on a small tour of this is Australia we went back and did the ultimate tour which involved climbing through small spaces and going deep deep down!
9. Jinju Lantern Festival. It might be similar to Loi Krathong in Thailand without the magic but it was still beautiful and a highlight of the year. https://teacherjennie.com/2013/10/13/jinju-lantern-festival/
10. Canyoneering– Although it almost killed us with the cold of the Scottish water…. it’s been a great story to tell and will not be something we forget soon!!
11. Dog Cafe. You can’t come to Korea and not try one of the ‘theme cafe’s’ and I LOVED this!!!! Playing with all sorts of dogs while taking a rest from the heat outside! Was great fun!! If you don’t dogs then you can try a cat cafe… don’t like animals? There are game cafe’s, ones you can dress up as a bride you name it!
12. Discovering the wonder of the Korean baths or ‘Jjimjilbang’ Being naked in front of a room full of strangers might not be up everyone’s street but any time we are in Busan this has now become a MUST. So relaxing and a great way to let some steam off!
13. Breaking a Guinness World Record! So might not have been just me and in fact 2090 other people… however I still can say I have broken a Guinness World Record… For what you ask?? For being part of the largest group floating in the sea whilst on a giant inflatable thong (or flip-flop!) All while celebrating Australia Day!
14.Halloween and Fireworks. The International fireworks display on Halloween in Busan was incredible and it was followed up by an awesome (very drunken) night out in a onesie. It’s the simple things in life!!
So with 2013 coming to a close we are trying to think of how to beat it although with a trip to Japan booked in for January 1st, another Ski trip planned in February as well as heading home in March before starting a second year in Korea… 2014 looks like it could be just as interesting!
Thanks to everyone who helped us over the last year! Happy New Year when it comes!!